Welcome to the Sunshine State, where magical family vacations come to life!
There’s a good reason why adults and children love trips to Florida. But if you’re planning your first family holiday here, you may find it all a little overwhelming.
Don’t worry — Real Florida Adventures is here to help! Our range of Florida tours from Orlando are gateways to unforgettable memories and have been for years.
In this blog, we’re focusing on handy travel tips for a family holiday in Florida. Use our local insights and advice to make your trip memorable for all the right reasons.
Scroll down to start reading our recommendations — and if you have any questions for us at any point, please feel free to get in touch.
Plan Your Florida Family Holiday in Advance
Picture this: You arrive at your dream theme park only to find lines that extend out of sight!
Or even worse, the experience you’ve come all this way to enjoy no longer has any tickets available on the dates you’re here.
The most successful Florida holidays are planned well in advance, and to avoid disappointment, you should do the same. Planning ahead is your ticket to a smooth and enjoyable getaway.
During your planning process, keep the following in mind:
- Book Early: Florida’s theme parks and events are magnets for visitors from around the world. Secure your tickets, fast passes, accommodation, and dining reservations well in advance to ensure you get the experiences you want.
- Create a Flexible Itinerary: While it’s crucial to plan, it’s equally important to leave room for spontaneity. Florida is full of surprises, so be open to detours and unexpected adventures.
Find even more inspiration for planning your holiday by reading our picks for the best family vacation destinations in Florida.
Pick Your Theme Parks Wisely
Florida boasts an impressive lineup of theme parks, each with its unique appeal. Choosing the right parks for your family is key to maximizing fun, so it’s important to do your research.
Here’s a handy introduction to some of the Sunshine State’s most popular parks:
- Walt Disney World: For classic Disney magic, Mickey ears, and enchanting experiences, this is your go-to. Remember, it’s vast, so plan multiple days to explore the four parks.
- Universal Orlando Resort: If you’ve got Harry Potter fans in the family, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are a must. Universal also offers thrilling rides and entertainment for all ages.
- LEGOLAND Florida: Younger kids will love this LEGO-themed park, with gentle rides, interactive attractions, and plenty of LEGO building opportunities.
And there’s far more to explore too, including Island H2O Water Park, Aquatica Orlando, Crayola Experience, and Gatorland Orlando to name a few.
Check out our range of tickets to Orlando attractions and find out where your adventure can take you!
Consider Visiting Some of Florida’s Theme Parks at Night
Florida’s parks take on a different vibe as the sun goes down, and it’s not just for the grown-ups.
Some of the reasons why your family may prefer a later visit include:
- Cooler Temperatures: The Florida sun can be quite tiring, especially for the little ones. Visiting parks in the late afternoon and evening provides relief from the heat.
- Smaller Crowds: Most visitors flock to the parks nice and early for a long day of excitement. But as they tire and leave toward the end of the day, the queues shorten!
- Dazzling Illuminations: Nighttime shows and parades are a treat for the eyes. The fireworks at Disney and the Hogwarts Castle’s light show at Universal are just two of the dazzling spectacles.
Each park has its own opening hours, and these vary throughout the year too. You should always check the individual parks you want to visit to find out how late they open.
The local recommendations keep coming in our blog Best Things to Do with Kids in Florida. It’s packed with suggestions for fun-filled days on a Florida family holiday!
Explore Florida Beyond the Parks
While the theme parks are a blast, Florida has so much more to offer. Take a break from the roller coasters and explore the diverse wonders of our state.
Just some of our tips include:
- Florida’s Beaches: Florida’s coastline is famous for its stunning beaches. Whether it’s the calm waters of the Gulf of Mexico or the surf of the Atlantic, you’ll find a beach to suit your family.
- Everglades: A trip to Florida isn’t complete without experiencing the unique ecosystem of the Everglades. Take a Boggy Creek airboat ride to spot alligators and other amazing wildlife.
- Jaguars NFL Game: If you have sports fans large and small in your family, the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Tickets are an absolute must!
It can be hard to pick which of Florida’s beaches to visit because the range is so impressive. Make your planning a little easier by reading our guide What is the Prettiest Beach in Florida?
Of course, these tips barely scratch the surface of all the places you can explore here. Take a deeper dive into the top Orlando attractions for families.
Pack the Essentials for Your Florida Family Holiday
Florida’s sunny weather can be a dream come true, but it’s important to come prepared.
Every family will have their own needs, but typical essentials include:
- Sunscreen: The Florida sun is unforgiving. Slather on sunscreen with a high SPF and reapply throughout the day.
- Hats and Sunglasses: Protect your family’s eyes and skin from the sun’s rays with wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses.
- Water Bottles: Stay hydrated! Carry reusable water bottles to save money and the environment.
- Rain Gear: Florida’s weather can be unpredictable. Pack lightweight rain jackets or ponchos to stay dry during unexpected showers.
Our guide Planning the Ultimate Florida Family Vacation is another essential resource that can help you to create the kind of holiday you’ve always dreamed of.
Choose the Right Accommodation
Finding the right home away from home can make or break your Florida holiday.
When searching for yours, consider these popular options:
- Vacation Rentals: Opt for a spacious vacation home or condo, especially if you’re travelling with a larger family. Having a kitchen and laundry facilities can be a game-changer.
- Family-Friendly Resorts: Many resorts in Florida cater to families, offering pools, kids’ clubs, and convenient dining options.
Combine Fun and Education at the Kennedy Space Center!
Florida is blessed to be the home of the Kennedy Space Center. And this iconic site is only a short drive from Orlando!
A Kennedy Space Center tour is a unique opportunity to combine fun and excitement with a fascinating and educational experience.
Taking a break from the thrill rides to immerse your family in the wonders of space exploration is a memory you’ll cherish.
Here’s why KSC is a must-visit for kids and adults of all ages:
- Educational Fun: KSC isn’t just about rockets; it’s about inspiring the next generation of explorers. Kids can meet astronauts, touch moon rocks, and explore fascinating exhibits.
- Interactive Experiences: From the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit to the Apollo/Saturn V Center, there are plenty of hands-on experiences that will captivate your family’s imagination.
Planning a trip to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex isn’t rocket science — look no further than our #1 Kennedy Space Center Tour!
Experience Florida with Our Tours from Orlando
Now that you know these seven travel tips for a family holiday in Florida, it’s time to start planning your family’s adventure!
There’s no better way to begin than browsing our range of Florida tours from Orlando. Find the perfect experiences that everyone will love.
Do you have any questions about our tours and excursions? Simply contact us for all the information you need.